Microsoft recently released an update which prevents macros from automatically running in Microsoft Office files (such as excel, word and powerpoint documents).
Although the commendable intent is to protect users from people with bad intentions to distribute malware, this update also creates issues for legitimate files that require macros in order to run properly.
Our spreadsheets use advanced features of Microsoft Excel, including macros. Macros are mainly used to manage product licensing but also to perform more complex calculations used when analyzing real estate properties (such as the “Max Purchase Price” tool). Therefore, it is important for macros to be enabled, otherwise the spreadsheet won’t work properly.
How to unblock macros?
There are two different ways to do it:
Unblock a single file:
In most cases you can unblock macros by modifying the properties of the file as follows:
- Open Windows File Explorer and go to the folder where you saved the file.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties from the context menu.
- At the bottom of the General tab, select the Unblock checkbox and select OK.
As you will regularly download spreadsheets from our website (when updates are released for instance), we recommend you to set RealEstateSpreadsheets.com as a trusted site in Windows so macros from the site won’t be automatically blocked. To do so, follow these steps:
- Tap the Search button or Windows key and type Internet Options from the Control Panel
- Select Internet Options from the search results and the Internet Properties dialog box will appear.
- On the Security tab, select Trusted Sites, then select Sites.
- Type “https://www.realestatespreadsheets.com”, and then select Add.
- Select Close and then OK.
That’s it. Now you won’t have to worry about blocked macros when downloading spreadsheets from our website. If you’re still unable to unblock macros, please reach out, we’re happy to help.